Water data in-progress - Ezra
Molding Bioplastics to CNC Forms
Initial experiments with forming bioplastics to an existing mold highlighted a few issues. To get a larger amount of depth and undulation, the bioplastic itself would need to be much thicker. This increases drying time and material use. I tried to use a foam mold however, the bioplastic adhered to the foam and became impossible to separate from the foam.
My second attempts to form bioplastics involved using a heat gun to soften the bioplastics and press them into a mold. Attempts using both foam and wood tests were successful. However, the wood molds allowed for more control over the result as I could use it directly on the surface. The foam melts under the heat gun so the bioplastic has to be softened prior to being pressed into the mold. In both materials, small details are hard to pick up in the bioplastics and they are more effective with organic forms.
I found that the medium hardness of bioplastics worked best for this purpose and can be easily reheated, flattened, and pressed into a mold over and over without damaging the material. The harder bioplastics are prone to cracking and the more flexible bioplastics don't hold the form as well.
Interestingly, the laser scoring patterns remain unchanged under the heat gun. Further experimentation with this at a larger scale is where I am planning on going next.
Comments
Post a Comment